How to use the model viewer to view TF2 models and weapons.
Loading a TF2 Model:
- Go to your Team Fortress 2
- Then in that folder select
- Load a model using the top menu option File> Load Model (Steam): a window full of folders will open.
- Scroll down until you find the folder named "player", open it.
- Pick any one of the .mdl, depending on which class you want to see (don't pick the ones with "animations" in the name)
Note: if you want to view a weapon, you might want to choose the one class whom the weapon belongs, preferably.
Step 3:If the model looks weird, check the box named "Normal Mapping" on the menu at the bottom.
Basic workings of the Model Viewer:
- To rotate around the model, left-click on it and move while keeping the button pressed.
- To move the model in the space, hold SHIFT down, left-click on it and move while keeping the button pressed.
- To zoom on the model, right-click on it and move while keeping the button pressed.
- To move the lighting on the model, hold CTRL down, left-click on it and move while keeping the button pressed.
To change pose, refer to the Step 3 of "Loading a Weapon".
To change skin, refer to the fourth note, in the same step as above.
Loading a Weapon:
To load a weapon on standalone, simply use File > Load Model(Steam) just like with a character model- then follow the step 2 in "Giving a weapon to the character model:" underneath.
Note: According to Illuminatee., you can also do it by using File> Load Weapon (without a model loaded) but this as proven not working properly for me. Feel free to try both ways.
Giving a weapon to the character model:
Once you got the character, load a weapon model using File> Load Weapon in the top options.
Again on the big ROOT window, locate the folder named "Weapons", open it. Go in one of those sub-folders: c_model, v_model, w_model, and pick the one you wish to see.
Note: w_model are "world" models and therefore those you see in third person and either v_ are the ones you see in first person view...but I'm not sure, so... play around and see what looks best. c_models are both combined.
Note 2: The unlockables are not in every folder, so look around.
You'll notice the weapon floats ankwardly beside the character, who is in a standard idle pose. To change the pose to make him hold the weapon, change the tab in the menu at the bottom to "Sequence".
Note 3: Other tabs include "Render", "Model", "Flex", "Physics"... I suggest you only play with Render, Sequence and Model for simple viewing purposes.
To change the pose, use of of the numerous drop-down menus marked "ref" inside: you'll see a list of poses and animations. I suggest you try them out to see what they do, but the name is a good indication "Walking/swimming/standing/reloading" will tell you what the character does, and "PRIMARY/SECONDARY/MELEE" which weapon the character is holding.
Therefore, if you chose the Heavy's shotgun, pick up a pose/animation marked "SECONDARY" for him to properly hold it.
Note 4: Under the "Model" tab is a drop-down menu (the one under the class name) with "Skin 1" written inside. You can select Skin 1 to 4 in that menu: it'll change to model Team color from RED to BLU and from both shades of Übercharge skins depending on your pick.
There, that is pretty much all I can think of now. You can unload the weapon using the top "File" menu, go back to previous models, etc. Mostly, play around to learn, like I did, to see what does what.
I hope this could help, and if I forgot something or made a terrible error, feel free to tell me!
Your friendly neighbourhood Battlemedic, Celebren