Using sketchup to make models... how?

does anyone know how I can get sketchup models into tf2?

By Slench 4 years ago

I have a lot of concepts for skins that I want to make. Now, I'm very routined in using Google SketchUp as a 3d modelling software, and I've made quite a lot of things in it, the thing is I have no idea how I can get the .skp files converted into a format I can use in-game... I've TRIED to learn blender but... that didn't work out so well, and I'm not much for spending a shitload of money to get 3dsmax, maya or anything similar....

any help?

10 posts 4,181 views
  • You must be a member

Replies

• Sabotage's Levels
    • A4: Graduate
      Account Age: 4 years
    Posted 4 years ago

There might be a script you can use to convert .skp to a format readable by Blender. Then use Blender to convert said model to an SMD.

However you are speaking about -skins-, as in textures. I imagine you meant "model" tho :)

Bloodtype ? C8H10N4O2, why ?
  • Slench's Levels
    • P1: Beggar
    • A5: Veteran
      Account Age: 5 years
    Posted 4 years ago
    Posted by Sabotage There might be a script you can use to convert .skp to a format readable by Blender. Then use Blender to convert said model to an SMD. However you are speaking about -skins-, as in textures. I imagine you meant "model" tho :)

Yeah I meant models... but custom models and custom model-textures are both in the skin section, therefore both called skins...

also valve includes an smd plugin for sketchup with source sdk.. though the developer.valvesoftware.com site states smd's to be compiled into models and static props in LEVELS saying nothing about model replacements for weapons

TF2 earbuds. I has 'em!
  • Dr. Whoop DSc's Levels
    • P4: Worker
    • E1: Helper
      EF: 11
    Posted 4 years ago

Since .smds are the general file type used for both weapons & props, It Might be possible, but my guess is you won't be able to do weapon models since you need to have hand rigs, the animations and whatnot.

By the way, Softimage mod tool is a free modelling program & just as good as all the thousand dollar ones. You could easily import your sketchup .smd's into Mod tool, and go from there.

• Slench's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago
    Posted by Dr. Whoop DSc Since .smds are the general file type used for both weapons & props, It Might be possible, but my guess is you won't be able to do weapon models since you need to have hand rigs, the animations and whatnot. By the way, Softimage mod tool is a free modelling program & just as good as all the thousand dollar ones. You could easily import your sketchup .smd's into Mod tool, and go from there.

hand rigs and animations??? say I've made a sword that I want to replace the eyelander, I've successfully converted it to an .smd file... what am I supposed to do from there?

TF2 earbuds. I has 'em!
  • Sabotage's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago

Recompile the model. Can't say how, tho >_> Don't forget to texture it, too, or else you might end up with a screwed up slightly psychedelic sword :D

Edit: Obv. you'll have to make it fit the hand of D-man first. Refer to the videos made by IceColdFreezie on Youtube.

• Slench's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago

alright I managed to open it in mod tool, but it appeared as 2 models one was a whole joined model the other consisted of smaller sections, the sectioned one was positioned the way the starting model did... how do I make 1 model out of it and how do I uv map it?

TF2 earbuds. I has 'em!
  • gameripper's Levels
    • P4: Worker
    • E3: Tutor
      EF: 61
      Account Age: 6 years
    Posted 4 years ago

I'm just going to say that Sketchup isn't a great polygon modelling tool especially when you have XSI. I'd say learning mod tool is a better option since Sketchup doesn't have the animation support required

The model you've made has to be compiled onto the animations of the original eyelander

User Title
    Team ARIA
  • Slench's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago

I'm trying to compile the model but I keep getting this error: ERROR: cannot find bone weapon_bone for bbox

what should I do??

Note: I've strictly followed IceColdFreezie's world and view model tutorials with the exception of using blender to create uvmaps instead of 3dsmax.

Note2: I'm trying to make a replacement for the scotsman's skullcutter

EDIT!: I've managed to get my custom model into the game only 2 problems remain!

solution to bone problem: rename the bone "item01" to "weapon_bone"

problem1: I can't seem to get my test texture to work correctly

problem2: now I need to do the same with the eyelander (you'll know why when it's done) but milkshape keeps saying: "do you want to append the animation at the end of the current animation?" it then refuses to load the model no matter if I click yes or no

TF2 earbuds. I has 'em!
  • Sabotage's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago

Solution to Problem 1: Methinks you didn't follow ICF's texturing tutorial. If you did however, check your seam placements.

Solution to Problem 2: If I were you, I'd do the models first, placement and everything with MS, then only start the animations part.

• Slench's Levels
    Posted 4 years ago

Problem 1 (extended) I've tried a lot of things now I still can't get the textures to fit onto it (pink/black checkerborads instead) here's my qc

$cd "C:\Users\Slench\Desktop\battleaxe\output" $modelname "weapons\c_models\c_battleaxe\c_battleaxe.mdl" $model "Body" "c_battleaxe_reference.dmx.smd" $cdmaterials "\models\weapons\c_items\c_battleaxe\" $cdmaterials "" $hboxset "default" $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -9.689 -10.645 -1.888 9.647 45.860 1.921 // Model uses material "models/weapons/c_items/c_battleaxe.vmt" $surfaceprop "metal" $illumposition 0.017 -0.021 17.608 $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00 $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" { $mass 6.3 $inertia 1.00 $damping 0.00 $rotdamping 4.00 }

and this is my vmt:

"VertexLitGeneric" { "$basetexture" "models\weapons\c_models\c_battleaxe" "$surfaceprop" "metal" "$model" 1 }

Problem 2 (extended) I open up milkshape, click import - half life smd locate the c_claymore_reference.dmx.smd

and then I get that message... I have the model I want to replace it woth ready I just can't bypass that animation popup.. any more detailed instructions on what to do there?

TF2 earbuds. I has 'em!
  • You must be a member